Monaco’s employers’ federation has backed the Monegasque Government’s handling of the coronavirus outbreak, but has cautioned against hysteria.
In a statement on Thursday, February 27, Philippe Ortelli, FEDEM’s President, said that the federation has full confidence in the authorities and the preventive and educational measures that have been taken.
However, he called for reason and responsibility to be applied to prevent the topic taking on “irrational proportions.”
“Let us apply these precautionary measures with common sense and persistence,” Mr Ortelli said.
Earlier in the week the Government responded to concerns expressed by the National Council by repeating its advice to those who show symptoms of the virus to self isolate and consult a doctor. The Government also expressed its support for any employees in Monaco who have recently returned from affected countries in south-east Asia and parts of Italy, offering 14 days of paid leave.
Monaco’s schools will re-open as usual on Monday following the holiday.
Meanwhile, the number of reported cases of coronavirus in France doubled to 38 overnight from Wednesday to Thursday.
PHOTO: Philippe Ortelli